
In my self portrait, I chose the central theme of balance. In my life, balancing multiple extra curriculars, school work, and a social life are struggles that I face every day. I chose to convey this by placing the commitments and passions that I balance around me in a circle. I took the picture as I was juggling a soccer ball, and instead of only having the ball in the image, I placed the other aspects of my personality in it as well. I tried to make it look like I was juggling the other objects to represent balance.
Each one of the objects represents one of my passions or personality traits. The soccer ball, softball and clarinet are all tributes to three things I am very passionate about. I was just recently taught how to solve a Rubik's cube, so I included it in my self portrait as a symbol of dedication and willingness to throw myself into a challenge. (Special thanks to Kate Nelson for actually teaching me how to solve the cube.) The calculator stands for my commitment to my school work, and willingness to work through subjects that I find more difficult. Math has never been my favorite subject, but with hard work, I still manage to meet my high expectations.
The feat of balancing many different passions is essential to being human. We all balance things whether it be extra-curriculars or emotions. In my self portrait I depicted what is important in my life. I know they may seem unimportant or useless to others, but I believe that by sharing what I am passionate about, I can encourage others to share their own passions as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment